Top GK and current affairs: Recent Awards
Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award
- Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award, 2016 has been honoured to Five-time world chess champion Vishwanathan Anand (46).He was selected for the award for his contributions to the game of Chess by becoming five-time world champion. With this he became first sports personality to receive this prestigious award.In 2015 the award was conferred to renowned music composer A R Rahman.
Saraswati Samman, 2015
- Jammu-born poet and novelist Padma Sachdev has been chosen for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for the year 2015 for her autobiography ,‘Chitt-Chete,written in Dogri language published in 2007.In her 662-page autobiography, Ms. Sachdev has included some historic photographs with dignitaries from her state, nation and the world.
Global Indian of the Year,2016
- Bollywood Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan , and Indian tennis star Sania Mirza were awarded the 2016 Global Indian of the Year award at the NRI of the Year award function held in Mumbai on April12,2016.In the function held altogether 17 individuals were given the awards under different categories like entrepreneur, professional, academics, arts & culture, philanthropy, special jury award, global icon of the year and India’s global icon award
Officer of the Legion of Honour,the highest French civilian honour
- Former Indian Army Chief General JJ Singh was conferred with the prestigious Officer of the Legion of Honour, the highest French civilian distinction. He was conferred the honour by French Ambassador to India, Francois Richier in New Delhi. Mr. Singh was chosen for the honour in recognition of his stellar role in modernising the Indian Army. It also recognised his pivotal role for initiating robust exchanges between the Indian and French armies leading to “unprecedented” levels of inter-operability and cooperation.
National Intellectual Property (IP) Award
- The IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)-Kharagpur has won the National Intellectual Property (IP) Award in the academic institutes category. The institute will be awarded the prize Top Academic Institute for Patents 2016 by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day on 26 April 2016.