Top GK and current affairs : 16 th April 2016
- The Haryana Government has recently renamed Gurgaon district as “Gurugram district”. The Gurgaon city is an Indian corporate hub located immediately south of the National Capital Territory of Delhi. As per the sources, Gurgaon derived its name from the name of Guru Dronacharya, the master of archery in Mahabharata who tutored the Pandavas. The village was given as gurudakshina to him by his students “the Pandavas” and thus, it came to be known as Guru-gram, which in course of time got distorted to Gurgaon.
AIRTEL M COMMERCE:
- Airtel M Commerce Services Ltd., a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel, has become the first entity to receive final approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start a payments bank. The payments banks are not allowed to lend, they have to tie-up with banks will help them source loans for their customers.
Global Indian of the Year,2016
- Bollywood Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan , and Indian tennis star Sania Mirza were awarded the 2016 Global Indian of the Year award at the NRI of the Year award function held in Mumbai on April12,2016.In the function held altogether 17 individuals were given the awards under different categories like entrepreneur, professional, academics, arts & culture, philanthropy, special jury award, global icon of the year and India’s global icon award
Meeran Chadha Borwankar:
- Meeran Chadha Borwankar, senior Maharashtra cadre IPS officer of the 1981 batch, has been appointed as the Director General of Bureau of Police Research & Development (BPR&D). She will hold the post till her retirement in September 2017.
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Food Entitlement Scheme:(MMSFES)
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has recently launched Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Food Entitlement Scheme (MMSFES) to supplement the National Food Security Act in the state. As per the scheme, all those persons who are covered under the state’s public distribution system, will get additional 5 kgs of ration per person in addition to 5 kgs of ration they are entitled to get under NFSA.
World No Tobacco Day:May 31
- World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed around the world every year on May 31. It is intended to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption around the globe. The day is further intended to draw attention to the widespread prevalence of tobacco use and to negative health effects, which currently lead to nearly 6 million deaths each year worldwide, including 600,000 of which are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.
World AIDS Day:December 1
- World AIDS Day, designated on December 1 every year since 1988, is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection, and mourning those who have died of the disease. Government and health officials, non-governmental organizations and individuals around the world observe the day, often with education on AIDS prevention and control.